Thursday, April 23, 2009

#6d -Browsing Search

For my last search, I chose to try the browsing search. I kept with my general topic of looking for books that kids can share with parents. From my previous searches, I chose a search term that would lead me in the right direction to find something that I could use.

Database: Eric

Browsing terms: childrens books

This query provided me with 8,967 hits. The first few were not what I was looking for. I went back and refined my search by clicking on the suggestions to improve your search. I chose to rank them by relevance. This produced a list (same list just different order) that had the first few hits that were leading to where I was looking. After reading through the first 34 hits, I finally found one that was relevant to what I was looking for, without having to add more search terms.

Title: "Suggested Books for Children: An Annotated Bibliography."

NHSA Dialog: A Research-to-Practice Journal for the Early Intervention Field. 11.4 (2008): 238-247. (found 4-19-2009)

I found this hit to be a relevant book for giving parents and teachers a list of suggested books to share with students. It also looks as if it would be divided into specific lists according to the content of the storybook.

I found the browsing search to be very simplistic but time consuming. I kept wanting to add more search terms to speed up the process of finding a book/article relevant to my query. I guess this should have been the first type of search I had done. It could have led my other queries in a different direction (more enhanced vocabulary) after browsing through all the articles before finding this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment