Thursday, April 16, 2009

#6c - Specific Facet Search

For this seach, I used the same topic of finding books that elementary students could share with their parents. I conducted my search on Academic Search Complete by doing the following steps:

Question: What books are good for elementary children to share with parents?

Facets:

S1:books or novels

S2:children or elementary

S3:parents or family


I began my search with S1 because I am looking for books. Unfortunately, this is too broad of a topic and came up with too many hits. I improved the wording for this search by making it:

picture books or novels : This gave me 37,407 hits.

Searching only S2 resulted in 94,148 hits. S3 gave me 35,118 hits. Even though this number was less than S1, it was not what I was looking for - which was books for families to share. Doing a building block search of the revised S1 and S2, I narrowed my results to 6,072. By doing even more with the revised S1 and S2 and S3 search, my results came up to 132 hits. Using the filter of the publication dates narrowed down to the field of 1992-2009, I got 81 results. Using the Advanced Search, I could narrow these results even more by clicking on Scholarly Journals (peer reviewed) and it went down to 8 hits. Looking through these few, I found one that looked promising:




Title: Celebrations, 1992: Literature Across the Curriculum

Author: Cullinan, B.E.

Source: Reading Teacher; May92, Vol. 45, Issue 9, p108, 8p. 5 bw

ISSN: 00340561

This book is about a few picture books that are great for sharing with family, about families, and information about a few other books that are topic specific for students.

My thoughts on this type of search: I don't feel as if it led me to my book any easier than the building blocks search. It did show me that I needed to specify what types of books I was looking for (picture books) to add to my query and help narrow my search.

No comments:

Post a Comment